Ideas to Make Your Home Office Work
With social distancing mandates, many people are doing their work from home. Although babysitting or homeschooling responsibilities can make it hard to stay focused on work, modifying your space can help. An organized and visually appealing work area can help you feel more productive and more relaxed.
Here are five tips for elevating your home workspace.
1) Whatever spot you choose, just make sure it feels like a dedicated and functional work area. That means adequate lighting, a comfortable chair, the right height for typing without strain, a seamless tech setup that allows you to take and make video calls without having to fiddle with plugs or wires, and an overall lack of clutter on your desk and the surrounding area.
2) Toss anything you need to throw out, pair like items with like, contain those stray pens in one nice decorative cup, and make sure you have all your workday essentials close at hand and non-essential items moved elsewhere.
3) The wall you’re looking at beyond your laptop should inspire you. This is as good a time as ever to put together an inspiration board and fill it with what makes you happy, from images of your favorite people and pets, to pics of your goals (like that fabulous vacation you are going to take once we’ve all gotten through this tough time!). And yes, you can put your to-dos and important reminders up there too — but keep the focus on the positive and uplifting, and keep it right in your line of sight.
4) If video calls are part of your new day-to-day, think about what your colleagues are seeing behind you, like that pile of laundry or those mostly empty wine glasses. Keep things clean and uncluttered. And if you have the space, show off your style. Some good background options might be your favorite art piece, interesting souvenirs or a not-overly-stuffed bookcase. Lastly, remember lighting: Your space should be adequately lit, or it’ll look like you’re dialing in from a submarine.
5) Never got your dream office? This is your moment. We bet you can’t use scented candles in your regular workspace, but you get to make the rules at home. And now your playlist can softly waft overhead rather than through earphones. Similarly, set out some healthy snacks to avoid refrigerator trips, and nosh away.
It’s OK for your home office to feel like your home, and especially now, it’s important to take time to indulge yourself with some creature comforts that feed your soul and make you feel calm and inspired. Now you can easily work from home. We can also help you to make a comfortable office at home for yourself. contact us.